Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Something to ponder...

Was just talking to my boss and she gave me this inspiration to blog. Here it goes...
I always have the tendency to ask...
'What are you doing here?'
Don't care whether it's at the restaurant, or the shopping mall, or even the toilet...Until one day I met Carol(Simon's wife) at a restaurant and I asked her that question...this is her answer...
'What do you think I'm doing here, playing golf?'

Then my boss say, is this the Asian mentality? I mean not only THAT particular question, but have you ever bumped into someone who just came out of the cinema, and you asked...
'Wah...tai hei ar?' (Wah, watching movie ar?)
I mean the person JUST came out of the cinema, what else would he be doing?
OR
You bumped into someone while shopping for apparels...
'Wah..mai sam ar?' (Wah, buy clothing ar)

Tell me, have you ever wonder? Is this the Asian mentality? Or we're just being human?What do you think?

4 comments:

Farah Zainal said...

hahaha...same thing goes to me...used to call my husband...n asking 'wut r u doin'...wit irritating voice...he replied...'playing football'...but i think its Asian mentality...maybe soklan tu just nak wat syarat je tuk start conversation...i guess je lah...hehehe

sgboy said...

this is universal don't think it is just Asia, it an ice breaker I guess a silly one but effective...having said that I am guilty of it myself. In the gym months ago I walked up to him and said "working out?" the minute I said it I wanted to slap my own face.....

Ken Wooi said...

no la..
it's just how we start a conversation by linking to what is happening at the moment =)

kenwooi.com

freddiewee said...

well, i'm like sgboy...after saying all those, i feel like slapping myself..before the other person slap me..haha...but isn't there any other things to say? like, hey, how hv you been? or sth else? why must it be 'what r u doing here?'